[GRASS-dev] New v.digit

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Feb 25 15:57:27 EST 2007

I've improved the performance of the OK button. But what I really did was
get the line width variable to update properly when the widget is changed.
The rest of the settings seem to update OK.

As Glynn says, doing a cancel button requires rewriting the module quite a
bit. As it is, it simply sets a set of v.digit working environment
variables. To make a real cancel button, you'd need to track prior values of
all variables, then reset them to prior values if a cancel button is hit.
For creating/changing cat and attribute values, it would be even harder to
'roll back' to a prior state.

With respect to the window title, it's not about hiding commands from the
user. I simply think it's better if the title briefly explains what is going
on in the window. "Digitizing mymap at PERMANENT" seems more informative than
telling the name of the command that calls the window IMHO. However, it's
not a big thing and I've reverted it to v.digit. It's easy enough to change
back should opinion swing that way.

A couple of bugs I noted:

1. In the copy cats tool, one of the mouse button prompts says "Conform and
select next". It should be "Confirm and select next".

2. Whenever I try to do something with the display cats window (add new), it
crashes v.digit. I apparently don't understand how it's supposed to work.
But it shouldn't crash it either.

Michael

On 2/25/07 1:02 PM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Paul Kelly wrote:
>
>>> I added the OK button. It's in the cvs now.
>>
>> I just tested this and as far as I can see it doesn't work correctly. You
>> stil have to press enter in the box after changing the line width for it
>> to be picked up. And the default line width still isn't placed in the box
>> to start with. Also if there is an OK button there should be a cancel too
>> I think.
>
> An OK button either needs to run the "invoke" method on each Entry
> widget in the tab (or in the entire dialog), or run the commands (the
> arguments to the -command switches) directly.
>
> A cancel button is a bit problematic, as there is only c_var_set, and
> no corresponding c_var_get, so you can't reset the displayed values to
> the internal values.

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213