[GRASS-dev] Re: Nviz animation wish

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Jan 25 11:51:05 EST 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> Michael - there is a file sequencing tool for that in nviz - I have
> been doing it for years (I also
> had some of it at your workshop), just check my website.
> My slides for the lausanne workshop should have a description how
> to do it along
> with a sample data set. I need to run now but I can write you more
> later.
> It may be broken in the latest CVS but it worked well in 6.1

I was going to mention this also.  It looks like it can make a series
of ppm images, or an mpeg if GRASS was built with ffmpeg support.

And this is where I have issues.  I've been wrestling with this for a
while, trying to get a usable ffmpeg library on Mac OS X.  Because of
the VERY unstable nature of the ffmpeg project (a perpetual beta),
it's hard to get something that works at any given time.  This
probably applies to more than just OSX.  Building a universal binary
is more difficult because of different processor optimizations.
Nobody makes binaries for the ffmpeg libraries, just the program.  At
least on OSX, and I don't want to resort to Fink or Darwinports.

As an alternative to directly in nviz, there is the r.out.mpeg
module.  You could create the ppms in nviz, then run those thru
r.out.mpeg.

But that has a similar problem - no Mac binaries for the mpeg-encode
program that it uses.  And ancient code - I haven't tried building it
yet, but I expect problems.

A possibility would be to rewrite the r.out.mpeg module to use the
ffmpeg program or other mpeg encoder, which has readily available
binaries.  Or just run them manually thru ffmpeg.

A question about the ffmpeg support - is it limited to just the
mpeg-1 output, or can it use any format supported by ffmpeg?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in
a bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy