Fwd: Re: [GRASS-dev] VTK export for lat-long locations

"Sören Gebbert" soerengebbert at gmx.de
Tue Mar 6 10:46:57 EST 2007

Hi Benjamin,
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:45:14 +0100
Von: Benjamin Ducke <benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de>
CC: grass-dev at grass.itc.it
Betreff: Re: Fwd: Re: [GRASS-dev] VTK export for lat-long locations

> Wow, that explains the result I got!
> So I guess you need to know exactly how many meters a lat/long cell
> dimension is in the current projection, so you can scale the Z axis
> accordingly?

Yes, thats the point. And i need to know where to start.

> Does this vary between cells? Does GRASS have a function to calculate

It changes with every raster row.

> metric lengths between two points in a lat-long system? If so, I guess
> you would need to take the the metric distance between corner points of
> a lat-long cell and use the value for Z axis scaling?

AFAIK these functions are implemented in grass (lib/gis/area* and stuff).

The point is, im not very familiar with this kind of coordinate transformation, and even if i know the distance between each point,
i dont know where to start with 0,0 in metric coordiantes. :/

Maybe im a bit dumb?

Best regards
Soeren

Jetzt GMX ProMail testen: www.gmx.net/de/go/mailfooter/promail-out