[GRASS-dev] default vector point symbol

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue May 1 10:24:11 EDT 2007

On 4/30/07 11:45 PM, "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>> what do you all think about making a circle the default point icon
>> rather than an X?
>
> "o" is bad for centroids as a circle over a series small island makes
> all of them look round. (circle is bigger than island)
>

> "x" marks the spot.
>
> we could make the "x" smaller (say size=3), but that's not a good size
> for other icons.
>

> for points I usually run my d.stations script as a shortcut to typing a
> long d.vect line. (wiki addons)
>
> In addition I have a "d.mark x y" script to put a marker on the xmon at
> a given x,y, which is pretty handy, much easier than v.in.ascii+d.vect.
>  (just added to addons)
> examples:
>   d.mark 65,30
>   d.mark -m 595968,4918693

This sounds real handy. Is it on the WIKI? Maybe we should add it to the
main GRASS distribution. It is an easy update to make it respond to a mouse
click in the GUI

> I repeat my plea to separate the GUI vector plotting controls into tabs,
> 4 different tools (pt, line, area, mixed vectors/advanced [current]), or
> however. maybe have an "advanced" sub menu for all 3 primary feature
> types.

This is the way it is working in wxPython currently.

> To a new user the vector controls in GIS.m look like a 747 cockpit,
> they are overwhelmed with obscure features they'll never use.

I agree. Maybe if I have some time as the semester winds down I can look
into a notebook for TclTk too.

Michael

> If you had three+ GUI vector control panels, points could default to
> tiny circles and centroids could default to x's *independently*.
>

> Hamish

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213