[GRASS-dev] Introduction

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon May 7 19:02:10 EDT 2007

Prameet Chhabra wrote:

> My Name is Prameet Chhabra and I am an engineer in Sun Microsystem's
> Open source team, My charter is the port open source apps to Sun X64
> Grid. Currently I am the individual working on GRASS evaluation and
> subsequently porting the application to Solaris x64 (and eventually
> intending to make the application available as a resource available on
> Sun Grid).
>
> In the eval phase I have a couple of questions if any one can help...
>
> 1. Is GRASS application parallelized to use either MPI/PVM or other
> interface.

In general, no, although the GPDE library has OpenMP pragmas.

> 2. What % of native and what % of Java code (if any)

There is no Java code.

The libraries are all C, most programs are C, one program
(r.terraflow) is C++, there are a number of Bourne shell scripts, a
GUI in Tcl/Tk, another GUI in Python, plus two programs (v.digit and
nviz) using a mixture of C and Tcl/Tk.