[GRASS-dev] iconv a required dependency for using Freetype?

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue May 8 07:54:03 EDT 2007

On Tue, 8 May 2007, Glynn Clements wrote:

> There's no way that mkftcap can determine that they are actually the
> same font.
>
> What it should do is to add a suffix to duplicate names, so that you
> can select either one (at present, only the first one with any given
> name can be selected). Realistically, that would require mkftcap to be
> written in a real language.

Maybe writing it in C, linking it against the Freetype library and using
the Freetype API to query information about the font files it finds would
be a good idea. Presumably it would be possible to determine if two fonts
are identical, also the information about more that one font in each file
and perhaps more descriptive names for the font that just the filename
would be available. But I don't know for sure; haven't looked at the
Freetype API.

Paul