[GRASS-dev] new tests on wxgui

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue May 15 03:08:05 EDT 2007

On 5/13/07 3:57 AM, "Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann" <carlos.grohmann at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello all. I just did some tests with the new wxgui. here are some
> impressions.
>
> Apply button - Why? when you ask for a new map (say raster), you get a
> window for d.rast, where you choose the map, the you have three
> put the map name on GIS Manager, but that's all. You can't keep d.rast
> window open and draw the map on the display, you can't do nothing
> until you hit the "OK" button. So way keep this "Apply" button?
> "Cancel" and "OK" are all we need. (This "Apply" thing is way too much
> MSWindows IMO).

Apply did work until we made the options dialog modal. I guess we should get
rid of this button now (but see below).

> I also couldn't change the raster map, with "Apply" or with "OK". I
> have to add a new one.

Did you double click the layer to get a new dialog? I have no trouble with
this.

> In the Pop-down list where we can choose the map, the names should be
> in alphabetical order.

It *is* in alphabetical order on my system. What kind or order is it on in
your system?

> The "zoom to selected map" is not working, in my case, it just used
> the last zoom.

This works fine for me. Again, could this be a system issue with running
wxPython?

>In fact I get this error in a LatLong location:

I haven't tried this yet in a latlon location, but will do so shortly.

> GRASS 6.3.cvs (amsul_wgs84):~ > Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs/etc/wx/gui_modules/mapdisp.py", line
> 770, in ZoomToMap
>     self.Map.region['n'] = float(extent[1])
> ValueError: invalid literal for float(): 40N

This looks like a g.region issue that I had to deal with in TclTk. The
output of g.region -gp is different if you are in a latlon region and a
non-latlon region.

> - just for the record, it used the last zoom in a UTM location too.

No problem for me with spearfish.

> I think that all the Zoom button should be together in Display
> Manager, but the Query button is in the middle, that can be confusing.
> IMO, should be: Pointer-Pan-Zoom In-Zoom Out-Previous Zoom-Zoom
> Options--Query.

Already answered this to Hamish. I agree with you, but there are pragmatic
reasons to put it where it is at the moment that we need to resolve.

> Maybe the "Overlay" icon in display manager would be better if the
> grid was above the raster, and not below it? that gives a better idea
> of what that icon does.
>
> I didn't find an option to say that I don't want vector areas to be
> filled. I did found where to change the colors, but not the "no fill"
> option.

We need a transparent (none) option here--like in the dialog for d.barscale.
Daniel?

> I think that the d.vect window should be large enough to show all the
> options (maybe except "output"), and "options"  could very well be in
> "main", instead of a separated tab, the same goes for d.rast.

Daniel answered this one.

> The thing about you have to close the command window to refresh the
> display goes for other commands, also. For instance, if I use
> g.region, and change the region settings, I can't refresh the map
> until I hit "Cancel" in g.region window. I should be able to change
> the settings, refresh the display to see if that is what I want and
> then hit "close" to close the window (instead of "cancel" which is
> counter-intuitive). In this particular case (g.region) tha "Aplly" or
> "Run" button is usefull, it would aplly the canges, we would see if
> it's OK, and then the OK would close the window (and apply the changes
> again, but it wouldn't make any harm).

To do this, we'd need to change the dialogs back to non-modal. Worth
discussing, but possibly problematic for map displays (what happens if you
have 3 raster in the list?).

Remember, the computational region (set with g.region) will not affect the
display region or vice versa, unless you explicitly tell GRASS to do so.

Thanks for the input

Michael

> That's all for now.
>
> cheers