[GRASS-dev] compile errors for GRASS 7 in Mac OS X

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sun Dec 21 17:41:38 EST 2008

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2008, at 3:35 PM, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> I just tried compiling GRASS 7 with OS X. Most went fine. I got a few
>> errors
>>
>> Error in...
>> /Users/cmbarton/grass_dev/grass7_src/lib/proj
>>
>> Doesn't recognize the NAD2BIN environmental variable
>> Had to create symlink to /Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/Programs/
>> nad2bin in /usr/local
>> Then it compiled OK
>>
> Or add /Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/Programs to your PATH.  I guess
> that's why I haven't had a problem with it.
>
> Ah, the lib/proj makefile was changed - include lib.make was moved to the
> top, when it should be after the NAD2BIN line in the makefile.  So NAD2BIN =
> nad2bin now overrides platform.make's NAD2BIN, instead of the other way
> around.

That's very interesting. I wasn't aware that $(NAD2BIN) was set in
Platform.make - it wasn't there in 6.0 so seems to have been added some
time before 6.2. From a brief look at it I think the NAD2BIN line in
lib/proj/Makefile should have been removed at the time NAD2BIN was added
to Platform.make. So from what I can make out, it seems like you've
discovered an interesting long-standing bug. Deleting the NAD2BIN line in
lib/proj/Makefile seems like the obvious way to solve it - does that fix
it?

Paul