[GRASS-dev] mac error in GRASS 7 compiling

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Dec 22 19:31:27 EST 2008

On Dec 22, 2008, at 5:49 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>>> BTW, is there a reason that main.m isn't called main.c?
>>>
>> main.m is Objective-C.  Obj-C is needed to create the OSX application
>> shell.
>
> Ah. In that case, using $(CC) is less than ideal; configure.in should
> really use AC_PROG_OBJC to specifically detect an Objective-C
> compiler. Similar issues exist for CFLAGS.

It'll work as is on most, if not all, OSX systems.  On OSX, there is
only Xcode/GCC from Apple (Google turned up an old IBM C compiler that
is somewhat compatible with GCC 3.3, but it's PPC only, it seems to be
dead, and it uses the Apple linker, so the user would need to have
Xcode installed anyways), and it's Obj-C.

The flags needed and used for the rest of GRASS also apply to Obj-C,
though I suppose the user could add some bad flags to CFLAGS that
would mess up the OBJ-C compilation.  Any suggestions for an Obj-C
flags name?  And I suppose support for it would have to be added to
configure?

If you're worried about cross-compiling, I don't think it's possible
because the linker is specific to Apple, and thus not available on
other platforms.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that the
past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between
my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe