[GRASS-dev] Plan to build Package to use GRASS from R

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 10:30:34 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Rainer M Krug wrote:

> I finally started working on the implementation of grass commands from
> R and most of the translation from the the output from
> --interface-description is working. I just have one question at the
> moment: some flags require "--" and others "-" and I could not fiind
> any indication in the
> --interface-description output which one uses which.
>
> Any ideas where I can get that info from?

Flags that are interpreted by the GRASS module option parser and have a
common meaning to all modules are prefixed by --. There is a fixed number
of these (see lib/gis/parser.c for details). The interpretation of flags
with a single - is defined by individual modules when they call G_parser()
and the meaning of single - flags is individually dependent on each
module.

I wonder if the special parser flags should be left out of the
--interface-description output. Certainly they should be given a different
name to distinguish them from the individual module flags - it's very
confusing the way it is at the minute.

Paul