[GRASS-dev] Plan to build Package to use GRASS from R

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 10:39:01 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Paul Kelly
<paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>
>> I finally started working on the implementation of grass commands from
>> R and most of the translation from the the output from
>> --interface-description is working. I just have one question at the
>> moment: some flags require "--" and others "-" and I could not fiind
>> any indication in the
>> --interface-description output which one uses which.
>>
>> Any ideas where I can get that info from?
>
> Flags that are interpreted by the GRASS module option parser and have a
> common meaning to all modules are prefixed by --. There is a fixed number of
> these (see lib/gis/parser.c for details). The interpretation of flags with a
> single - is defined by individual modules when they call G_parser() and the
> meaning of single - flags is individually dependent on each module.

Thanks - that explains.I already expected something along these lines.
Is there a way to retrieve these parameter or do I have to hardcode
them (which I would not like to do)?

> I wonder if the special parser flags should be left out of the
> --interface-description output. Certainly they should be given a different
> name to distinguish them from the individual module flags - it's very
> confusing the way it is at the minute.

Yes - at least from my perspective. The other option would be to name
them differently - e.g. comflags for common flags?

> Paul

Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Plant Conservation Unit
Department of Botany