[GRASS-dev] debugging nviz with TclTk 8.5 aqua

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Jul 23 09:38:52 EDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 7:17 AM, Glynn Clements wrote:

>> Mac OS X 10.5 comes with TclTk aqua 8.4 and 8.5. But I also have to
>> install an x11 version that I compile (in /usr/local/tcltk) in order
>> to compile and run GRASS with the standard x11 tcltk.

Actually, OSX 10.5 only comes with 8.4 Aqua.

> I'd say it's a fairly safe bet that Togl is being compiled with the
> 8.5 headers but linked against the 8.4 library.

That's certainly possible.  I have to watch some projects when I
compile them when I want to use dependencies that I've built newer
versions than are available in the system - if the project adds -L/usr/
lib to the linking, the system version will usually link instead of
mine.  Since /usr/lib is always in the default link path, it's not
needed.  OSX -L ordering rules in the linker are a bit different than
linux, and can be troublesome at times.

GRASS is good about this, but there are a couple things in the system
that can add that, from .la info or config scripts.

Michael, for the line that links nviz, do you see -L/usr/lib?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy