[GRASS-dev] WinGRASS Plans

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Jun 5 21:19:15 EDT 2008

Marco Pasetti wrote:

> > Maybe this is what you have in mind, but I think that the wx-config is
> > only
> > needed for compiling vdigit, not for using it.
>
> Good! sorry, confused: I always thought that Python was an interpreted
> language.

It is. But it also supports extension through binary modules
(libraries) written in e.g. C or C++.

> I don't know anything about the new vdigit: does it have some C or
> C++ code parts to be compiled in Python?

The vdigit module has a mixture of C++ and Python code. The C++ code
is compiled into a binary module (.so, .dll); you need to configure
with --with-wxwidgets, which needs wx-config to get the compilation
and linking switches for the C++ code.