[GRASS-dev] Re: r.walk and r.drain improvements

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 10:27:37 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dylan:
>> > Interesting post Colin. Can you comment on the differences between
>> > r.drain and r.walk in this example [1], in light of your findings?
>> > 1. http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/544
>
> teaching r.walk to follow ridgelines when possible would be cool for back country stuff. Perhaps r.mapcalc multiply the slope-cost input map with a r.param.scale feature map that likes ridges and saddles but doesn't like gullies and pits? treelines too.

That is a good idea. I have done something similar in the past [1] ,
with vegetated areas / lakes, to 'force' the cost surface in ways
beneficial to hiking. Vegetated areas were made easier to traverse
(closed canopy pine forests) and lakes were made impossible to
traverse. However, adding more of this kind of intuition via landform
element would be a great feature.

1. http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/244

> Also set cost map to NULL if slope > x so it doesn't have you crossing cumulatively short but physically challenging 20m cliffs.

Ah... that is what my example above is missing. I didn't know that
r.drain would go around NULL cells!

Great tips.

Dylan