R: [GRASS-dev] Re: GUI support for TclTk 8.5

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 08:49:50 EDT 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 marco.pasetti at alice.it wrote:

> Hin
>
> NVIZ works fine for me, with tcl/tk 8.5.1
> BTW, I just finished the installer for windows, but there's still a problem I'm not able to fix:
>
> installer procedure creates 4 different files to let GRASS work even if installed in dirs with spaces; files are:
> grass63.bat
> grass63 (to launch grass from msys shell)
> msys.bat
> grassrc6 (to avoid initial location error)
>
> It works fine, but nviz fails if GRASS is installed in a "spaced" dir; I verified that error doesn't occur when installed in a "space free" dir!
>
> I could release it right now (actually, after lunch ;-)), warning in the install procedure to not use dir with spaces, or delay the release and try to fix the problem.
> What do you think about?

How does NVIZ fail? Is there an error message? We could try to fix it.

Installing in a directory with spaces is never a good idea. There are
various little things here and there that will break, although the
situation is better than it used to be. In particular, I think shell
scripts invoked with the batch file wrapper to GRASS_SH (normally set to
the Msys shell) will fail because of a documented bug in the Windows
_spawnlp() function which is used in g.parser. I used to have a fix for
this (I think it just involved some extra quoting of the script name) in
my local source tree but I never committed it because I wasn't very sure
if it was the best solution, and I think I have lost it now in the move
from CVS to SVN.

Paul