[GRASS-dev] Current state of wxPython GUI

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Mar 27 14:20:30 EDT 2008

benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de wrote:

> 2. The GRASS init shell script now dumps this message twice to the console:
>
> "To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
> See "man sudo_root" for details."
>
> I guess it attempts to run something with su privileges?

Nope.

Apparently, Ubuntu prints this message every time you start a shell,
until the first time that you actually use sudo to run something as
root.

AFAICT, the issue is that it uses the absence of the file
~/.sudo_as_admin_successful to determine that you need to be told this
fact. But GRASS' Init.sh script starts the session shell with HOME set
to the mapset directory (so that the .bash_history file is created
there), so the test for that file fails.

Personally, I would suggest simply setting HISTFILE to use the mapset
directory, and stop messing about with HOME.