R: R: [GRASS-dev] Locking is not supported on Windows

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed May 21 11:48:16 EDT 2008

marco.pasetti at alice.it wrote:

> >Right. But in that case, it should fail with "Unable to read GIS_LOCK
> enviroment variable".
>
> as it does

In that case, set GIS_LOCK in init.bat.

> >g.gisenv will definitely work, at least for the command line
>
> no, afraid. I also tried with the msys shell (after starting GRASS);
> for example, with GRASS opened with the demolocation (PERMANENT):
>
> g.gisenv --v set="LOCATION_NAME=GRASS-Tutorial"
>
> it reports nothing as output, and the location is still the same.

Are you saying that running g.gisenv with no arguments continues to
report the old value for LOCATION_NAME?

Or are you being mislead by the shell prompt? Note that whatever
g.gisenv reports for LOCATION_NAME *is* the current location. The
shell prompt is set when you start GRASS, and won't change if you
change the location with g.mapset, g.gisenv, or anything else.

Probably the easiest way to check the current location is to run
g.list.