R: R: R: [GRASS-dev] Locking is not supported on Windows

marco.pasetti at alice.it marco.pasetti at alice.it
Wed May 21 12:47:10 EDT 2008

Hi Glynn,

OK. I summarize:

if I launch GRASS with the wxpython GUI, g.gisenv works, if either launched from shell (MSYS) or from the module GUI; in fact, after the g.gisenv command, if I run g.list -f type=rast I have the list of all the rasters in the new location

if I launch GRASS with the tcltk GUI, g.gisenv doesn't work, neither if launched from MSYS shell, nor from the module GUI: in fact, after it, if I run g.list it says that the location's raster list is empty (as it should be, since I'm in the demolocation)

after adding the set GIS_LOCK=0 line in init.bat it works :-)

another thing: the manual says:

g.gisenv [get=VARIABLE] [set="VARIABLE=value"] [store=string]
   [--verbose] [--quiet]

but it's not correct: (in Windows?) should be:

g.gisenv [set=VARIABLE=value]

in fact, if I type, for example, from the demolocation:

g.gisenv set="LOCATION_NAME=GRASS-Tutorial"

I have, as output from g.gisenv:

GISDBASE='C:/Documents and Settings/Marco/Documenti/GIS DataBase/GRASS Locations';
LOCATION_NAME='demolocation';
MAPSET='PERMANENT';
"LOCATION_NAME='GRASS-Tutorial"';

While, if I use the suggested syntax I have:

GISDBASE='C:/Documents and Settings/Marco/Documenti/GIS DataBase/GRASS Locations';
LOCATION_NAME='GRASS-Tutorial';
MAPSET='PERMANENT';

Thanks for your patience,

Marco