[GRASS-dev] Re: i.ortho.photo

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 02:05:22 EDT 2008

Glynn wrote:
> Re:
>
> 	r33944 | hamish | 2008-10-21 03:35:40 +0100 (Tue, 21 Oct 2008) | 1 line
> 	remove code based on Vask_lib+Xmons; porting will happen in
> 	develbranch6 then when operational be merged back into grass7 SVN
>
> Isn't this backwards?
>
> There's no need for i.ortho.photo to change in 6.4, as monitors (and
> the display architecture generally) won't be changing there.

it's just easier to incrementally test with an otherwise working suite.
i.e. the config file setup modules will be pretty easy to fix, while the
two i.points clones may take much longer.

I had thought about leaving i.ortho.photo/libes/ in trunk, as that has
some hope of being reused (ie all but ask_camera.c to be merged into
lib/imagery/). My primary motivation was that porting fixes between two
active branches seemed like a nightmare.

> Also, if you need to write any code which uses the raster/display
> libraries, you'll need to substantially modify it in order to get it
> working in 7.0.

I had hoped that the i.points clones could be replaced with a plugin to
the wx georectify tool rather than reinventing something from scratch.
There are 4 versions of i.points in GRASS 6.4; fortunately they are so
similar that bugfix patches from years ago for one instantly apply to
the others. (as long as we remember)

I hope someone who works with this stuff and knows the ropes can step
forward to lead this effort. Although basic optics of lenses may stay the
same, I guess there is similarly a fair bit of work needed for the suite
to take advantage of modern digital camera systems. (automatic extraction
of EXIF metadata etc)

My main interest/curiosity here has to do with rectifying underwater
photos with parallel laser dots on a 3D reef wall, not aerial photography.

Hamish