[GRASS-dev] nviz compile errors on Mac OS X

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Sep 14 16:38:43 EDT 2008

On Sep 14, 2008, at 1:25 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2008, at 3:02 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> On further inspection of the crashlog, I think it's the
>> _grass6_wxnviz.so that it's choking on (makes sense).  I see that
>> libgrass_nviz is loaded in the binary images section, but not
>> _grass6_wxnviz.so (_grass6_wxnviz.so and nviz2 are the only things
>> that link libgrass_nviz).  So it was in the middle of loading it
>> and got libgrass_nviz loaded, then crash.  From there I'm at a loss.
>>

> Here's an odd thought - permissions.  When python source is loaded,
> python automatically attempts to compile bytecode as .pyc, alongside
> the source.  I don't know what python does if it can't write these
> files due to lack of permissions.
>
> When you sudo make install, you then don't have write permissions in
> the GRASS.app folders.
>
> I've been running my GRASS tests in an uninstalled copy, with this
> procedure:
>
> make
> make bindist
>
> the OSX bindist creates an installer package, and *also* leaves
> behind the assembled application in macosx/dist.  Try this.

Tried it. Got a warning...

2008-09-14 13:34:55.327 packagemaker[52382:60b] relocate: (null) 0
     Warning: Could not preserve resource forks because /Tools/
SplitForks could not be found.
rm -f "GRASS-6.4.pkg/Contents/Resources/TokenDefinitions.plist"

Otherwise it seems to install.

But nviz doesn't work