[GRASS-dev] nviz compile errors on Mac OS X

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Sep 14 18:20:19 EDT 2008

On Sep 14, 2008, at 2:21 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2008, at 4:02 PM, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> I was looking in the target directory. Yes, it is there. I have a
>> different result now (and in the target directory when I tried
>> something). Nviz no longer crashes Python. It simply doesn't do
>> anything. This is an improvement I guess.
>>
> So, python doesn't handle lack of permissions for the .pyc
> generation very well...  Though since the GUI runs, I wonder if
> that's just limited to .pyc for binary extensions?

Not quite. Normally, I let make install simply overwrite my existing
grass app. That way, if I have any new files I'm working on, it just
ignores them. I also don't have to make a new image for the dock. Once
in awhile, there is a problem with this, however. I decided to rename
my existing app and let make install create a totally new one (bindist
did the same thing of course). In this new app, nviz no longer crashes
Python, but simply does nothing.

> When you say nviz doesn't do anything, do you get the nviz settings
> and exit tools?  And behind the display window, maybe that "please
> wait" windoid?

None of that. I select the nviz setting in the display and absolutely
nothing happens. I haven't checked yet, but I'm wondering about the
problem I'm having with vdigit--i.e., not finding the *.so file.
Perhaps there is a hard-coded path in vdigit.py and nviz.py that has
them looking for files in the wrong place.

Maybe Martin can tell us. I'll look at the files too.

Michael