[GRASS-dev] Compiling GRASS on Ubuntu

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 8 05:10:28 EDT 2009

dasuni kannangara wrote:
> i am using ubuntu 8.10. I have downloaded grass 6.2.3 source code. I referred the INSTAL file and installed all pre requisites. I am trying to compile the source code now. But when i enter the command 'make', it says,
>
> Makefile:22: include/Make/Platform.make: No such file or directory
> Makefile:23: include/Make/Grass.make: No such file or directory
> make: *** No rule to make target `include/Make/Grass.make'.  Stop.

Have you configured the source code first with ./configure? See also (B)
COMPILATION in the INSTALL file.
> Please provide me step by step details on how to compile the source code.

1. get source code for grass-6.4.0RC3, this version is much better than
grass-6.2.3
2. run ./configure within the directory grass-6.4.0RC3 with your choice
of configuration options, optionally first ./configure --help to see
configuration options
3. only now can you 'make' grass

see also grass wiki on compile and install [1]

[1] http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#Ubuntu