[GRASS-dev] RC5 on Mac OS X

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Aug 30 11:56:06 EDT 2009

The wxpython you compile GRASS with, if you spell out a custom path
for it in configuration, may not be the wxpython that is found when
GRASS runs, depending on which Python is found at runtime.

Are you using a wxpython binary install or your own compiled version?
I have not seen libwx_base_* as a normal OSX prefix for wx libraries,
they're usually libwx_macud_*.

You could try forcing the Python you want by setting GRASS_PYTHON in
your shell init, or in grass.sh.

On Aug 30, 2009, at 6:30 AM, Jeshua Lacock wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I just built RC5 here on Mac OS X 10.5.7 using pretty much all of
> the latest available stable versions of the dependencies.
>
> The build reports "No errors detected." However I have run into two
> problems. When I launch GRASS, I get the error:
>
> WARNING: Vector digitizer is not available (dlopen(/Library/OpenOSX/
> grass/grass 6.4.0RC5/etc/wxpython/vdigit/_grass6_wxvdigit.so, 2):
> Symbol not found: __ZN12wxStringBase8InitWithEPKcmm
>  Referenced from: /Library/OpenOSX/grass/grass-6.4.0RC5/etc/wxpython/
> vdigit/_grass6_wxvdigit.so
>  Expected in: dynamic lookup
>
> The symbol has an address in libwx:
>
> nm libwx_base_carbon-2.8.0.6.0.dylib | grep
> ZN12wxStringBase8InitWithEPKcmm
>
> 0005f320 T __ZN12wxStringBase8InitWithEPKcmm
>

> And when I attempt to launch NVIZ (by choosing "3D view" from the
> map display), the GUI crashes and in the terminal reports:
>
> dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: image not found for lazy pointer
> at 0x286d054
> dyld: image not found for lazy pointer at 0x286d054
>

> I built the aqua version of Tcl/Tk 8.5.7 which runs fine, installed
> wxPython 2.8.10.1, numpy 1.3.0, PyOpenGL 3.0.1a3 and used the --with-
> opengl=aqua flag when running configure.
>

> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jeshua Lacock, Owner
> <http://OpenOSX.com>
> phone: 208.462.4171

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if
you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm
50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy