[GRASS-dev] Re: a better console and better diff

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sat Dec 19 01:16:19 EST 2009

I just committed an advanced command console in develbranch_6 r40053. The changes were too many to do a diff. Please give it a spin.

There are separate input and output widgets. The input widget has all the features described below. It also wraps the command so you can see it all without resizing the window or scrolling. As before, typing commands that return text will produce nice output in the output widget; typing d.* command that display something (i.e., non-interactive ones) will produce something in the display canvas.

There is now a console tab/page with the command input and output widgets, and a layer manager tab/page with display layers you can manipulate with a GUI. Upside: a cleaner, more compact, interface with all command-related controls grouped together (and somewhat easier to code). Previously, entering a command would switch to the output tab/page anyway if it was not already selected. Downside: if you display maps using d.* commands and then want to manage the display layers (drag-and-drop layer organization, change properties), you have to click the tab for the layer manager.

The only thing I'm still having trouble with is sizing the StyledTextCtrl widgets for input and output. I think the input widget should be a little shorter but neither STC's are responding to sizing methods. This should be solvable, but at least you can try out new command entry console in the meantime.

Michael