[GRASS-dev] Re: my custom ps.map to ps3.map

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 04:05:22 EST 2009

> Jorge Tizado wrote:
> I make many changes to the files in ps.map and to avoid conflict with
> this  standard command I move my custom ps.map to ps3.map.
>
> This ps3.map compile whithout errors in grass6_devel (6.5.svn). Before I
> send this addons (or substitute of ps.map) I want debug and improve some
> part of code but I like know the opinion and suggestions to improve
> the command needed to draw quality maps whitout any other extern
> software.

The screenshots look extremely nice & professional. Congrats.

To greatly ease the code merge into main GRASS it is best to do things
the "SVN way". i.e. 'svn copy' ps.map from the devel branch to your local
devel dir (or grass-addons) then 'svn diff > patch.diff' + post the diff
to the trac system (1 ticket per enhancement please) or if in grass-addons
we can 'svn merge' the changes back with minimal room for human error &
issues relating to working from out-of-date/divergent branches. n.b. I am
in no way an expert with SVN(!) but have done enough merging code by hand
to appreciate the advantages of svn's automation. Progress should be noted
in the trac bug/wish system. These tools keep the tasks manageable and
transparent with minimum overhead in spite of our limited people-power.
Without them the time-sink to follow everything is just too huge.
If you need help with any of that, just as the -dev list.

I think ps.map is not affected much by grass7 changes so far; so as 6.5
(aka develbranch_6) works for you you might as well keep on developing
against that branch (as long as it doesn't break compatibility with
existing GRASS 6 ps.map scripts). Merging between the branches is easy;
I think that Glynn would prefer the main PostScript effort in grass 7 to
focus on the d.* modules + PS driver anyway.

Sorry if I am a bit slow to act merging things back into the main branch,
I have more than the normal pile of work on my plate; still I am
appreciative of your work and hope to review it as soon as I can; I just
like to fully review everything as much as possible before merging.

regards,
Hamish