[GRASS-dev] GRASS7 rasterlib broken?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jul 15 16:34:42 EDT 2009

Markus Metz wrote:

> > Splitting libgis into libgis and libraster means splitting G_gisinit()
> > into G_gisinit() and Rast_init(). Obviously, if you split the function
> > in two, any calls to the function also need to be split.
> >
> > I'll look into doing one-shot initialisation within the raster
> > library.
> >
> It's a long stretch but what Rast_init() does may be in principle
> similar to what does dig_init_portable() in the vector libs.
> Initialisating of the raster libs in library instead of in module may
> not be much of a time penalty since you're using static int initialized.
>
> BTW, can a system with a byte order different from the byte order of the
> original system read grass raster maps created on the original system?

The core raster and vector file formats are portable. There are a few
instances where auxiliary files under cell_misc use platform-specific
formats, e.g. the FFT data generated by i.fft and read by i.fft (this
doesn't apply to 7.0, where the FFT data is stored as raster maps
rather than auxiliary files).