[GRASS-dev] grass64 and grass7 development (was wxGUI Help)

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Sep 7 12:29:42 EDT 2009

On Sep 7, 2009, at 8:30 AM, Hamish wrote:

> Helena wrote:
>>> would it be possible to make the GRASS65 manual available
>>> on-line, something like this:
>>> http://grass.osgeo.org/gdp/manuals.php
>
> Markus wrote:
>> It is already online but was just missing from that list.
>
> does it really need to be linked?
> IMO we really need to start focusing more on grass7 as the
> "real" development branch and backport some useful things to
> 6.5 but try and put less emphasis on it. Currently development
> is getting splintered and falling out of sync, not everything
> relevant is being merged away from 6.5, ... I'm just concerned
> that it will get worse as grass7 diverges.

that is my concern too - but I think rather than focusing on grass7
we should freeze all new development, fix everything that needs to be
fixed,
and release GRASS64 final and move on to grass7 after that is done,
with only bug fixes allowed for grass6*

Currently, quite a bit of work is done on grass7 with grass64 release
still
pretty far from final release state, so as you say, the development
is getting splintered and it is getting more difficult to do bug
fixes in both
(as I have seen recently with v.surf.rst).

just a suggestion - it would be really nice to have a new stable
grass release -
as there are still people downloading and installing GRASS6.2

Helena