[GRASS-dev] scripts don't launch GUI from the msys command line in winGRASS

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 5 01:55:59 EST 2010

Michael wrote:
> #### first issue
>
> So far, I've only seen this in Vista and am wondering if
> anyone else has seen it. Using the nightly build from 2
> February.
>
> From the command line, type the name of a script, like
> r.blend, without arguments
> Instead of the GUI popping up, there is an error
> complaining about the lack of arguments.

it's funny that we all noticed this at the same time, but actually it
is all modules and it's been like that for a long time (if not always).
I had tried a WinGrass installer from December (well before the latest
rounds of argv[0] and G_spawn() changes) and it was the same. --ui is
needed from the msys prompt.

I tried from the DOS prompt as well (even setting GRASS_GUI=wxpython),
but that just returns you to the C:\> prompt. You can start g.gui from
there ok though.   shrug.

> ### second issue
>
> Also,  copy a script and rename the copy (e.g., copy
> r.blend to r.blend2), leaving it in the scripts folder, then
> copy the script's *.bat file (in bin), rename the copy
> (e.g., , e.g., r.blend.bat to r.bend2.bat), and edit the
> *.bat file so that it points to the proper renamed script
> copy (e.g., now points to r.blend2). Type the script's name
> on the msys command line and press return.
>
> There is an error that the script cannot be found.
>
> Any thoughts?

.. perhaps restart GRASS? ?

> I'm trying to help some students learn scripting. It is
> frustrating that even correctly written scripts don't work.

understood.

Hamish