[GRASS-dev] winGRASS compilation: perl not found (needed for MAN)

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jan 20 06:16:22 EST 2010

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > IMHO, the main reason to stick with the Perl version isn't down to
> > which language to make a required dependency, but the effort required
> > to clean up the 6.x manpages.
>
> If the Python version would be backported to 6.5, I could walk through the
> HTML pages, fix them and backport the HTML bugfixes to 6.4. They should
> be done in any case...

Back-porting is just a matter of copying g.html2man.py from 7.0 and
changing HTML2MAN in man/Makefile (remove the "sh").

Trying this, I get errors in 66 files, while 416 build without error.

If parsing fails, g.html2man.py will display the line number and the
line, but won't describe the error (most of them are due to using
block-level elements as if they were inline; using blocks inside
<dt>...</dt> is a common flaw).

There is some useful information on validation at:

http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Updating_GRASS_Documentation#A_brief_guide_to_valid_HTML