[GRASS-dev] GRASS extensions/addons mismatch

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 16:22:02 EST 2011

Hi,

2011/12/14 Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>:

> All directories that begin with a "." are by default hidden from Mac users. Since permissions and settings can be accessed in other ways, this is not a big problem.

it's same for GNU/Linux, bear in mind that Mac OS has the roots in Unix :-)

> But if we are putting addons into the same hidden directory, it is more troublesome.

Why? Most of the application store it's settings / user data in hidden
directories (GNU/Linux).

> William has previously put this into the /Library folder as a visible folder. This is a much more sensible place for the Mac. So we need to treat Mac's differently from Linux, like we do Windows.

On Windows we have different reason, directories starting with '.' are
not used on this system. I would incline to install addons in the same
directory as the settings (rc, wx, ...) - speaking about GRASS 7.

Martin