[GRASS-dev] GRASS extensions/addons mismatch

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Wed Dec 14 20:12:05 EST 2011

The way that William had it set is that the default locations for addons were defined as /Library/GRASS/6.4 or /Library/GRASS/6.5 etc. The system and/or user /Library folder is the normal place for preferences, plugins, and other such files on a Mac. While the Mac is Unix at heart, people don't interact with its OS and file system in the same way Linux users do. If there are things we want to hide from normal users, then using a hidden directory is OK. But for addons, it is better to put them in a place where users expect to find them. FWIW, it would be better if preferences were in /Library too because that's where they are for other software.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University

voice: 	480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-727-9746 (CSDC)
fax:          480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)