[GRASS-dev] GRASS7 ImageryLib

Mohammed Rashad mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 20:30:51 PST 2012

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM, Markus Metz
<markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>wrote:

> [answering here because I have worked on some of the affected modules]
>
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Mohammed Rashad
> <mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>
> wrote:

> >> Fully agreed.
> >>
> >> It might be sensible to merge the various image libraries:
> >>
> >> GRASS 6/7:
> >> * lib/imagery/: standard lib, in use (i.* except for i.points3,
> >> i.rectify3, see below)
> >> * imagery/i.ortho.photo/libes/: standard lib, in use (i.ortho.photo,
> >> photo.*)
> >>

> > i.points3 and i.rectify3 doesnt uses standard lib. So adding API style
> code
> > which can be used by i.point3 and i.rectify3 is what you are saying. Am I
> > correct?
>
> I guess so, but I would suggest to move the libs needed by i.points3
> and i.rectify3 to a separate GRASS lib, probably ortholib
> >
> > i.ortho.photo uses i.ortho.photo/libes right?
>
> No, it uses (will use) ortholib, currently i.ortho.photo/lib, but I am
> busy porting it and related modules to trunk.
>

> > so merging both libs will provide an API which any grass imagery module
> can
> > share right?
>
> I would suggest to separate standard imagery lib and
> orthorectification, because these two use substantially different
> algorithms. The ortholib depends on imager lib.

i.ortho.photo is under progress right? . So moving imager to a lib called
ortholib under imagery like imagery/ortholib or as grass_trunk/ortholib is
need to be done. right?

So If I start moving code around will it affect the current work on i.ortho
and friends?

> >> GRASS 5 (! only) image3 lib:
> >> * libes/image3/: never finished improvement which integrated the
> >> standard lib and the ortho lib. Seems to provide also ortho
> >> rectification for satellite data (i.points3, i.rectify3)
> >>
> >> GRASS 5/6 image proc commands:
> >> * merge of i.points, i.vpoints, i.points3 (see above)
> >> * merge of i.rectify and i.rectify3 (see above)
> >>
> >> Overall
> >> * add other warping methods (maybe lanczos or thin splines from GDAL?)
> >

> > This part is not clear to me at all
>
> Lanczos is already available.
>
> What could be gained by adding thin splines to the existing bilinear,
> bicubic, bspline, lanczos methods?

This question is not clear for me

> Markus M
>

> >> However, the library cleanup in GRASS 7 would be essential.

> >> Correct I don't know, maybe subject to discussion.
> >

> > Anyone have any comments ?
> >

> >> Best
> >> Markus
> >

> > --