[GRASS-dev] List of new features in GRASS 7: please update

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Dec 28 13:38:08 PST 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Paulo van Breugel
> Nice work Markus!

Thanks but it is joint work :)

> I am not very good in catchy intro words, but I would mention the number of
> new modules (44+ vector, grass and image modules + general, GUI, etc
> modules) and some key improvements / enhancements of existing modules (like
> the very significant speed improvements in vector handling)?

Yes, definitely.

> I guess the links are made with some kind of alias? Would it be possible to
> not show the 'G7:' as part of all links?

I would be more than pleased but trac has no clue about reasonable
links. We can simply take it out again, if too ugly.
Or move the page to Mediawiki.

Opinions?

> One question about bash the scripts. it is mentioned that all bash scrips
> are converted to Python.

Yes. Especially for portability reasons and speed.

> Perhaps obvious, but these concerns the scripts
> that are part of the GRASS installation. One can still use external bash
> scripts (and hopefully that will remain the case).

Yes sure.

> For example, most scripts
> available in the grass 6 add-on repository can be used in grass 7, albeit
> sometimes some adaptations are needed because of syntax changes)

Sure - users are welcome to continue like that.

Markus