[GRASS-dev] possible bug - more coordination needed

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 08:19:53 EST 2012

Hi Paolo,

> All py grass commands in QGIS stopped working a while ago:
> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4667
> now we are fixing them from the QGIS side, but apparently
> this is due to a change in behaviour from the GRASS side.
> We at Faunalia are ready to invest to keep the plugin
> working, and will greatly appreciate if someone from the
> GRASS side could let us know when something potentially
> harmful for it is done, so we can fix it sooner.

It seems from that bug report that you are building against grass trunk?
Please use the latest stable version (currently 6.4.1 soon to be 6.4.2)
for building the QGIS--GRASS plugin. Trunk is in active development
and will change all the time, without warning, guaranteed. The stable
branch will hopefully remain stable/backwards compatible for a long long
time, specifically so things like the qgis plugin will continue to work
with a minimum about of maintenance.

> In general, a better coordination between the two projects
> is necessary, if we want to keep the plugin working over the
> long term.

completely agree.
 - would a dedicated inter-project qgis-grass-plugin osgeo ML help?
 - what are the biggest issues with it to work on right now?

Hamish