[GRASS-dev] more on locale problem

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Wed Jul 25 23:16:58 PDT 2012

So I am now completely baffled as to why GRASS is not working on my colleague's computer. it is a pretty new MacBook (last 6 months) and he has not installed much on it--Office, Mendeley. It is running the most current version of Lion (10.7.4).

There are repeated problems with locale on it. Here is an example that works fine on my computer also running Lion.

import locale
locale.getdefaultlocale()
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
 File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/locale.py", line 496, in getdefaultlocale
 File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/locale.py", line 428, in _parse_localename
ValueError: unknown locale: UTF-8

I don't know where it is getting UTF-8. The GUI code in GRASS calls the language en_ES.UTF-8, but this is running Python outside of GRASS. I've tried setting locale to es_EN, and to C. But we still get this error when locale.getdefaultlocale() is run in wx GUI.

Any ideas?????

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Visiting Scientist, Integrated Science Program
National Center for Atmospheric Research &
University Consortium for Atmospheric Research
303-497-2889 (voice)

Arizona State University
www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu<http://csdc.asu.edu/>