[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #1428: WinGRASS + how to deliver Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package (vcredist)?

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Sat Jun 2 23:57:33 PDT 2012

#1428: WinGRASS + how to deliver Microsoft Visual C++  Redistributable Package
(vcredist)?
 Reporter:  dhastings     |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  defect        |      Status:  new
      Cpu:  x86-64        |

Comment(by hamish):

 Replying to [comment:25 hellik]:
 > 3 windows plattforms (xp, vista, 7, soon 8) have to be tested
 > by the wingrass installer. there seems to be differences between
 > these plattforms regarding registry entries, possible installation
 > paths etc. which could be tested. I've not found yet any
 > practicable way to test all these cases. :o(
 >
 > any ideas?

 I would not worry about Windows 8 yet, as it's still a moving target and
 any solution would be just a guess until the final release.

 I would not worry about XP and Vista, they are the past and only more so
 every day. For them I'd suggest a [Next >] through page with some key
 words in the first half of the first sentence of the paragraph explaining
 the symptoms and the remedy. (so even those skimming it will have some
 recollection)

 As for Windows 7, do we know the registry keys to look for? Does 64 or 32
 bit matter? (does Windows7 do 32 bit?)

 thanks,
 Hamish

--