[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #1428: WinGRASS + how to deliver Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package (vcredist)?

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Sun Jun 3 14:00:38 PDT 2012

#1428: WinGRASS + how to deliver Microsoft Visual C++  Redistributable Package
(vcredist)?
 Reporter:  dhastings     |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
     Type:  defect        |      Status:  new
      Cpu:  x86-64        |

Comment(by hellik):

 Replying to [comment:26 hamish]:

 > > any ideas?
 >
 > I would not worry about Windows 8 yet, as it's still a moving target and
 any solution would be just a guess until the final release.

 ok

 > I would not worry about XP and Vista, they are the past and only more so
 every day.

 at least I know one person who is using still winXP ... ;o)

 >For them I'd suggest a [Next >] through page with some key words in the
 first half of the first sentence of the paragraph explaining the symptoms
 and the remedy. (so even those skimming it will have some recollection)

 > As for Windows 7, do we know the registry keys to look for?

 it seems it's not so easy for win7; it depends if other software packages
 have already installed msvcr:

 see Side-by-side assembly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winsxs) and
 attached screenshot for msvcr90.dll-search in the filesystem and local
 registry-scan for msvcr90.dll

 >Does 64 or 32 bit matter? (does Windows7 do 32 bit?)

 it seems so (see screenshot and registry scan).

 some more complications in future:

 Breaking Changes in Visual C++ (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-
 us/library/bb531344.aspx)
 Deployment in Visual C++ 2010 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-