[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2013, GRASS symbology idea

Pietro peter.zamb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 01:25:32 PDT 2013

Hi Tereza,

In these days I'm thinking to substitute the GRASS d.* modules with mapnik [0].
Mapnik is the state of the art for high quality rendering of maps,
support several types of export formats and It is widely used.

The advantages to adopt Mapnik are:
- High quality output, symbols [1], text [2], legend[3] etc are
already implemented;
- we will have less code to maintain because part of the job will be
done by another library;
- export into different formats, export as tiles for example should
make easier to integrate an interactive viewer to a ipython notebook
[4,5,6], or with other local and remote services;
- should be quite easy integrate the mapnik layers and rules with a
GUI, we only need to generate an XML and call mapnik to generate the
figure.

The disadvantages are:
- at the moment there is not a direct interface between mapnik and
grass, it is possible to access to the grass maps through the gdal/ogr
interface but it is not working for GRASS7 sofar but may be would be
possible to add a GRASS plugin to mapnik [7].
- we add a new dependence to GRASS and may be will be more difficult
to install GRASS on Windows/Mac platforms and it will increase the
size of  the final installation (~43 Mb).

What do you think?

Best regards.

Pietro

[0] http://mapnik.org/