[GRASS-dev] Importing large data into GRASS

Margherita Di Leo dileomargherita at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 04:45:50 PST 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Rashad M <mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > But I need the whole data and to do some geo processing over it.
>
> OK. In contrast to GADM v1, GADM v2 contains a lot of floating point
> representation errors in the coordinates, most probably created by the
> software used to create GADM v2. You need to perform additional
> cleaning with snapping to a very small threshold, i.e. v.in.ogr
> snap=1e-7. And you should use GRASS 7 for the import of large vector
> data, because the import may not work with GRASS 6.

FAQ added here http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Importing_large_vector_data

ciao madi

> Markus M
>

> > On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Markus Metz <
> markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> but

> >> This is indeed a very large dataset. You can try to import only the
> >> part overlapping with your area of interest: first set the region
> >> accordingly, then use v.in.ogr -r
> >>
> >> Markus M
> >

> > --
> > Regards,
> >    Rashad

Margherita DI LEO
Postdoctoral Researcher

European Commission - DG JRC
Institute for Environment and Sustainability (IES). Unit H03 – FRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.