[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS 6.4.3RC2 released

Anna Kratochvílová kratochanna at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 07:12:53 PST 2013

Hi Hamish,

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:55 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> - verify that the wxPsmap symbol decoration tool can be refined
> later without breaking backwards compatibility

sorry, I haven't have time to think about it so far.
So you want to use the grass symbols instead of eps north arrow
images. What is exactly the reason? You probably explained it but I
forgot it. Personally, I am not very fond of this format. Anyway if
you convert the arrow images, there is probably no way not to break
the compatibility. One thing we can then do is to create a script
which could find and convert the eps instruction to a point
instruction in the ps.map instructions file. However, is the
compatibility a real problem?

If you want to convert the arrows, I would suggest to create a new
directory 'north_arrows' (besides basic, extra, ...). This would
simplify the life of users (why on earth are north arrows located in
'extra'?) and me as a developer of the composer (in the north arrow
dialog I would show only the north_arrow directory, otherwise I would
have to filter all the symbols by the name or something like this). I
think we can afford this change in grass 7, maybe we can revise also
the other names like basic and extra?

Regards,
Anna