[GRASS-dev] Python handling in winGRASS7 [was: Re: GRASS GIS 7 tech-preview release preparations]

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Fri Jul 26 02:40:32 PDT 2013

hi,

On 26/07/13 00:04, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:
[...]
> Would it be a possible option to implement only a)

there is already a bundled/embedded python in standalone WinGRASS6/7 and
OSGeo4w-WinGRASS6/7.

some more issues related to WinGRASS and python are mentioned also in

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2015

>and document the fact
>that the user has to take care of creating a working Python installation
>herself if they want b) ?

I would vote for this.

Windows users may be less used to prepare their system for their own
purposes than Linux users. they are used to get a system out of the box. so
a lot of software applications tends to do things all for their own...

IMHO it is some kind of operating system design flaw made by MS ;o) which
can't be easily solved by an user application.

example case:

application software X wants to install a system wide python installation in
C:\Python27\X and application software Y wants to install a system wide
python installation in C:\Python27\Y (I know such cases), both to work
properly and both maybe with some slightly modifications to python.

but the user wants to work with both applications.

who should decide which one is the 'right' system wide python installation?

-----
best regards
Helmut