[GRASS-dev] Python handling in winGRASS7 [was: Re: GRASS GIS 7 tech-preview release preparations]

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Fri Jul 26 07:51:08 PDT 2013

[...]

>Yes, so this should be reformulated as "keep the current option of
>bundling an embedded python".

yes

>However, again within the limits of my understanding, aren't the issues of
>
>- calling a script from a script
>
>and
>
>- making addons easily callable
>
>linked to the question of system-wide vs embedded Python ?

#!/usr/bin/env python isn't working in windows, so you need other mechanism
to run a python-script with a (specific) python interpreter.

http://docs.python.org/2/using/windows.html
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0397/

if python is system wide installed with entries in the registry, then two
jobs mentioned above are worked out by the system wide python.

if python is not system wide installed with entries in the registry, then
you need e.g. a explicit script-invoking by the embedded python interpreter
or a file extension association to the embedded python interpreter.

at this point calling a script from a script and making addons easily
callable comes in with the known issues.

nevertheless the wingrass6/7-wxgui itself is working.

>IIUC, in order to solve (at least) the first issue, you have to make
>python code callable and executable without the .py extension, using
>
>assoc .py=Python.File
>and
>ftype Python.File=C:\Path\to\pythonw.exe "%1" %*
>
>but as the ftype setting is system wide, you can't just hijack all
>python scripts on a machine to use the Python interpreter embedded in
GRASS;

that's another quirks and I'm not in favour of it...

>I'm really not expert enough on these issues, so some input from the
>gurus would help, here.

the same here...

> some more issues related to WinGRASS and python are mentioned also in
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2015
>
>I didn't see this yesterday while experimenting with a fresh install on
>WinXP without system-wide Python installed. I'll try again with a
>system-wide Python installed to see if that makes any difference.

in my experience - unfortunately - there seems to be also different
behaviour between WinXp, WinVista, Win7 and Win8...gggrrrr

IMHO the question is/will be: is there a robust mechanism for calling a
script from a script and making addons easily callable by the embedded
python interpreter working on WinXp, WinVista, Win7 and Win8?

if this is working robustely, I think we are on a good way for a nice
(python) usable WinGrass6/7... :o)

>b) use Python also for command line scripting in the general environment
>and so install Python system wide (e.g. ArcGIS). In the idea that
>scripts that call GRASS functions should run also when called from
>outside a running GRASS "session", this would be the preferable way for us.

this would be a 'nice to have', but IMHO it's more a operating system flaw
than a WinGrass-issue ...

-----
best regards
Helmut