[GRASS-dev] Week 11: GRASS GIS 3D flowlines

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 19:58:05 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Newcomb, Doug <doug_newcomb at fws.gov> wrote:

> Anna,
> Will you post the  benchmarking results  for the OpenMP computation vs the
> non-OpenMP?

after some testing, my conclusion is that OpenMP does not really speed up
gradient computation and it can even slow it down. I tried it on my laptop
with 2 cores and on a powerful computer with 12 cores, with different sizes
of processed blocks and I didn't get any significant speed-up. The most
costly seems to be writing of the three 3D rasters and the gradient
computation is relatively short. I also tested different cache settings but
default settings seems to be optimal, I got only similar or worse results
with different cache settings.  I hope I didn't missed anything, since this
is quite new to me.

Best,

Anna

Doug