[GRASS-dev] Weekly report 12: Testing framework for GRASS GIS

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 19:53:50 PDT 2014

1. What did you get done this week?

This week's topic was documentation. Unfortunately, I was not able to work
fully on GSoC as I expected. However, at the end I was able to get to the
point when documentation is usable as is without further explanations
(although is not as complete as I wanted it to be). Documentation now
contains basic example, explanation of terminology and more advanced cases
and detailed notes about selected details. Not all assert methods are fully
documented but they should be understandable if nothing else, their source
code and their tests should explain.

There is currently 22 successfully running test files and 5 failing test
files, 11 successfully running testsuites and 3 failing testsuites, and 752
successfully running tests and 34 failing tests (507 of the tests are from
PyGRASS module test). This applies to a NC SPM location and the
configuration of system at a computer where tests were executed. Test are
running once a day (so far 8 days; with one improvement during this period).

2. What do you plan on doing next week?

Next week begin with suggested pencils down date, so I really plan only
minor improvements, mostly in documentation. This time I know that I will
not have much time for GSoC, so I don't plan much.

However, I will be able to provide support for those who decide to write
some tests. Documentation is OK but hot line is better I guess. Note that
test whether a module runs when right parameters are provided is good
enough test and even this trivial test might prove helpful in the future.

3. Are you blocked on anything?

I did not extended reports by including the information about platform,
configuration and name. This should should be done for the reports before
other things.

The online documentation for gunittest package is not fully generated and I
don't know why, perhaps Python 2.6 versus 2.7 problem. It compiles locally
for me, so I suggest other to do the same for now (`make sphinxdoc`).

Wiki:
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2014/TestingFrameworkForGRASS#Week12

Doc:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass71/manuals/libpython/gunittest_testing.html