[GRASS-dev] Fwd: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Google Summer of Code 2014 - ideas needed!

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 20:04:38 PST 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 10:32 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Martin wrote:
>
> > thanks for hard work collecting the ideas.
>
> agreed! thank you Vaclav (and Helena and Yann).
>
> We have about one week before our ideas pages are reviewed by Google and
> they decide if they want to accept us as an org again or not, so everything
> must be ready by then. :)
>
> a "willing to mentor: <name1>, <name2>" at the end of each idea is
> important for demonstrating interest from the dev pool.
>
> I just suggested only "Mentor" and not "Willing to mentor", I would say
that at the end, they mean the same.

> my personal wish is again for a project to add SVG support to the d.*
> system and ps.map. :)

This definitively sounds useful. I still don't understand why cairo does
not solve it for d.* system. As for the GSoC idea, you should be more
specific about relation to ps.map and which advantages it would have over
ps to pdf conversion (which is done g.gui.psmap) and than something like
pdf2svg tool (cleanness?).

In thinking about what projects to do, I'd be careful and reserve deep
> structural or architectural projects for existing student-devs with a deep
> knowledge of the code and existing community buy-in/flameproof clothing,
> and have new users to grass work on stand-alone modules or gui tools in the
> sandbox or addons svn.

I specified in "Requirements on student" bullet of "Metadata for GRASS GIS
maps and datasets" and "GRASS GIS locations created from public data"
that they are for suitable for experienced GRASSers.

Perhaps also "Compiling GRASS GIS on Android" falls into this category.

Vaclav

thanks,