[GRASS-dev] status of grass6.4.4 debian packaging ?

Francesco P. Lovergine frankie at debian.org
Mon Jul 28 05:01:32 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 10:53:25PM +1200, Hamish wrote:
> Moritz wrote:
> > Hamish and Frankie,
> >
> > What is the current status of packaging 6.4.4 for debian ?
> Hi, sorry for the delay, I've been largely out of the office for the
> last couple of weeks.
> Mainly notes to Frankie, but may as well cc everyone to keep y'all in
> the loop:
> As far as updates needed to the packaging files it's just dch to bump
> the version number, and as far as I can tell the barscale_ui and
> svn-any-version patches have been incorporated and are no longer needed.
> I've been building test packages since before release and AFAICT all
> seems well. We might need to keep an eye on the grass64.desktop file to
> make sure it gets included, but I think that's perhaps ok since the
> debian package does is not using 'make install'.
> The unpacked tarball lives in DebianGIS's git repo,
>   http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/grass.git/
> (with the notable addition of a debian/ dir)
> generally for this I think it is better for one person to drive the car
> at a time, so I let Frankie do the tarball swap-out part and then do
> any of my extra edits to the debain/ dir once the foundation is in
> solidly place.
> Others are threatening to commit over the top of our work on alioth
> right now and I'd rather pull in their patches than have to revert
> them, so we should perhaps get onto this soon... :-)
> @Frankie, a dependency on libgdal-dev (>= 1.10.0-0~) snuck into the
> control file recently, can we just remove the versioning? AFAIK it's
> not actually needed and it makes backports to wheezy and the ubuntu
> LTSs that much more of a pain. Also if there isn't a hard API reason
> for needing the new version, explicitly stating it there can be
> deceptive since it indicates that there is. (even friendlier for
> backports: "libgdal-dev | libgdal1-dev,")

Those changes can be easily added to allow easy backports.

> > Anything we can do to help ?
> The highly time critical thing right now is to get the new package in
> ubuntugis's unstable repo in the next few days so the osgeo live dvd
> can ship the right version for the Portland OR FOSS4G conference. We
> need to send the final to the printers soon. If it comes down to it, I
> can manually override with my self-built packages but I worry that the
> qgis 2.4 grass-plugin package would then need to be rebuilt too. So it's
> better to do it in the common ubuntugis PPA where those things will
> automatically resolve themselves. In general I feel it better to
> let the changes flow downstream from debian/unstable instead of letting
> things get the order of progression get mixed up downstream and all the
> splintering confusion and lost edits that go along with that, but the
> timing might necessitate an exception to that..
> Seb has a package, to avoid stepping on toes I think that might be the
> first upload to ubuntugis's PPA.

I just have a very short personal time window to complete the grass upgrade, else
that and other things willbe done in the second half of August.

Francesco P. Lovergine

More information about the grass-dev mailing list