[GRASS-dev] 6.4.4 planning

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Jun 12 13:20:04 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> On 12/06/14 00:15, Markus Neteler wrote:

>>> I think we can go ahead... Martin
>>

>> I'll wait for Moritz' ok since he objected to let me tag it.
>

> I don't know where you got that idea from.

I got that from email from you:

-------
On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> On 31/05/14 23:19, Markus Neteler wrote:
>> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Moritz Lennert
>>> - RC1 beginning of next week
>>
>> Should that happen then?
>
> I think (also in line with the above) a clear freeze announcement has to go
> out first to give a 24-48h warning to everyone. Then RC1 can be tagged.
>
> Sorry, but I won't be of much help these days as we've started exams here
> and I'll be busy with that almost all week.
-------

... it exceeded as I explained to you my available time window.
Perhaps some people underestimate the amount of work to prepare a
release, even a RC. So I just remind you that a bit more than just
launching the "svn tag" is involved. And the number of broken releases
in the past is close to zero.

> I proposed a more structured process of doing it, that's all.

... which is generally fine.

> Since this proposal has not met with any
> concrete feedback, other than it shouldn't be applied for 6.4, I'll just get
> out of the way and let you handle things the way you want to.

We have 19 "virtual" full time developers according to ohloh. I cannot
speak for the others but I want to get RC1 done since it is *only* a
release candidate and nothing else. Then we can consider to even apply
a new procedure. Just please let us do this RC1 - the planning
accouncement is from mid of Nov 2013, so probably enough time ago.
Surely I can retired from GRASS 6 maintenance if that opens up things.
But let me do RC1 first :-)

> Let me just add (gratuitously, I'm aware of that, but I'm a bit tired of a
> process where people make clear and concrete suggestions on an issue, but
> the content of these suggestions is just ignored, and the people who made
> them are then blamed that nothing advances) that if you had applied the
> proposed procedure when it was proposed [1], we would be really close to RC2
> by now...

Yes, if more feedback would come I would be happy as well.

Markus