[GRASS-dev] G7: turning manual page examples into test cases

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 06:36:22 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Moskovitz, Bob at DOC <
Bob.Moskovitz at conservation.ca.gov> wrote:

> This almost sound like the PostGIS Garden Test:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/DevWikiGardenTest

Thanks for the link. This is also a good idea, although I'm not sure how
much it is applicable to GRASS GIS modules.

As they say, it is (close to) monkey testing [1] where you input random
data into your algorithms and look if they fail. They get the information
about algorithms from documentation. Speaking about modules, we actually
have better mechanisms how to get the algorithms and their interfaces (list
modules on path or in GUI toolbox). However, this would apply to C and
Python interfaces.

Now, I would focus more on the current topic: the tests extracted from
examples in documentation. Examples are using the basic functionality and
have nice data, so it should not be hard to pass the tests.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_test