[GRASS-dev] module header definitions add: text/multiline and latex support?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Jan 14 05:04:04 PST 2015

On 14/01/15 11:59, Pietro wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Moritz Lennert
> <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
>>> Do you think that would be possible to have a description option that
>>> it does not take any input but allow us to be more descriptive inside
>>> the module interface?
>>
>> If you add
>>
>> #% label
>>
>> and
>>
>> #% description
>>
>> the label will be displayed as text in the window and the description will
>> be put into a tooltip that pops up at mouse-over. You can then put as much
>> text as you want into the description.
>
> mmh... do you mean inside the option?

Yes, the tooltip is linked to the option.

> I would like something outside the option, something before or after
> an option, at the moment I have a GUI with the form:
>
> {{{
> Raster input map:
> -> raster menu
>
> Vector input map:
> -> vector menu
> }}}
>
> I would like to be able to add a text/latex in the middle to make the
> GUI self-explanatory and relay less on the manual page.
> to have something like:
>
> {{{
> Raster input map:
> -> raster menu
>
> Add some more text here (just text/latex, not input is required by users)
>
> Vector input map:
> -> vector menu
> }}}

I personally am not in favour of such additional text in the module. I
think it would clutter the interface. There is a reason there are man
pages and we should not encourage users to skip them...

Also, how would you integrate that into the command line --help output ?
It probably wouldn't be as readable and and I'm even more strongly
opposed to introducing differences in information delivered between the
command line and the GUI.

Moritz