[GRASS-dev] Making start of GRASS GIS easier for newcomers

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Fri Jan 30 16:08:02 PST 2015

Yann Chemin:

Markus Neteler wrote:

> ... r.surf.fractal does this... but:

>> About a
>> vector, well a set of polygon arcs pairs can easily be stored in
>> code and (i
>> suppose) imported on the fly as a vector.

> ... but in times of open data it sounds strange to me to randomly
> generate data.
> You can then not even reproduce the same results. I would definitely
> stick to real data as already included in the demolocation.

Indeed, reproducibility is a key point.  I think there is a way to
force reproducible "random" data. As like it is done with seed values
(in Python, and R, for example).  In any case, it was just an idea to
get people without access to the net, and with near-zero background,
past the first steps.

Nikos